Inspired by Ron Delvaux, I decided it was time to "Pimp up my Coco". I decided to start with a fan, and add some LED lights.
Nervous about tearing open my Coco 3, I thought I would "practice" on my Coco 2 to make sure that I did it right before possibly butchering my favourite computer. As you can see from the photos below, my Color Computer 2 has been in the wars - it's a bit beaten up - it was like that when I got it (I don't treat my babies that way).
So, while listening to CoCoTALK! Episode 35, I opened her up!
How to power the pimps
Not knowing enough about how the power works in a Coco, I decided to supply my own power to the fan and lights. It's probably just as well, as I later found out that the power supply of a Coco is taxed as it is when peripherals are being used, such as cartridges, joysticks etc.
I grabbed a 12 volt DC power supply that I had lying around, and got hold of some power supply sockets from Jaycar.
Secure the fan to the case
I bought 6 x 40mm fans online for about $3 each. I opened up my Coco 2 and got out the trusty Liquid Nails. Unfortunately, the fans I got did not have much distance between the fan case and the fan itself, so my first 3 fans ended up with Liquid Nails in them, and were made thus useless... Into the bin with them.
Oh well, time to re-think this.
I got a strip of 10mm x 10mm wood from Bunnings and cut a small section. Liquid Nails did a much better job on glueing the wood to the top of the Coco case, I could then screw the fans into the wood strip.
Glueing successful - now time to attach the fan
This was a bit of a test - I needed to attach the fan on only two sides and make sure that it wasn't going to make any noises because of that. Made two small holes and screwed the fan in. After powering it up, the fan was knocking on the wood, so they needed some separators. All I had was a could of small nuts, so they became bumpers.
Powered up the fan again, and all seemed good.
Lights, camera, action!
Time for the lights. I had ordered a couple of light strips from Geek, but they hadn't arrived yet.
I had a small strip left over from my kitchen fit-out, so I decided to test it out with the Coco. Installing the lights was easy - double-sided tape strip on the back of the lights.
Unfortunately, these lights are setup to be part of a multi-colour system controlled by a control unit and remote. I wasn't sure that just plugging in 12 volts would work, so I tested it first. It turns out that you can change the colours on the lights by powering them up, removing the power and re-attaching the power. Awesome!
Crikey - it worked.
Put it all back together again, and it looks tacky awesome! PIMPED!
I learned some lessons doing this, including to be more careful with Liquid Nails, and to get the right lights. Part 2 - Pimping up my Coco 3 has been posted.
Thanks for looking.
Created on Saturday 2 December 2017.